Monday, November 14, 2011

I want my earnest money back advice please?

this happened in texas. was looking at a house for sale by owner, put down earnest money ($1000) the seller told me she would fix anything that was wrong with the property upon inspection and if it was something that she didn't want to fix, she would refund my money. by the way, this took place near houston on the gulf coast in texas a.k.a. hurricane alley. insurance companys are giving a lot of homeowners trouble and you really have to be careful. i had the roof inspected, found out it is not wind storm compliant. i hope you guys have heard of that, it was a new one on me and i suppose it has to do with the area having been hit by hurricanes rita in 2005 and ike last year. anyway, the old woman doesn't want to fix the roof and had a fit. without the windstorm certification, i will not be able to get insurance. we have signed no papers or agreements, only verbal. she accused me of changing my mind about the house and getting a friend to say it was bad. this is a licensed, bonded, insured roofing business for 20 yrs and i never met the guy before the day of the roof inspection. the old bitty says she won't give me my money back unless another roofer (of her choosing, ofcourse) says the roof is bad. she is wealthy and old but i'm sure still influential due to her big $$$$. do i have any legal recourse? i am trying to work it out with her and agreed to give her a copy of the roofer's' report from the inspection. she also said she doesn't rememb er saying she would give me my money back if she didn't want to fix something that was wrong, but i have her on tape admitting it later and her maid said so too because she was at work in the old woman's house and heard the conversation ( have that on tape too from a conversation when the maid answered the phone, she confirmed, yes she did say she would give your money back, etc..) i work in education, believe me the pay is LOW. she has no reason to want to keep my money because as i said she is wealthy. in a way, i am glad the deal fell through, i don't care to deal with the old batalax. advice please on steps i can or should take to get my money back. thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment