Sunday, November 13, 2011

While turning rentals into a business, should I make personal property business property?

I own two houses which I rent. Net for these is about $1200. month after allowances for depreciation/future repairs, PITI paid. I spend an average of about 20 hours a week maintaining these. (Sometimes 40+, sometimes less than 5). Having 4 kids it would be impossible for me to also hold a normal-hours job. I miss out on the earned income credit for taxes because my income as it is set up, is not considered to be "earned"! Also, I miss other benefits for the kids the way it is now. Since I defintely earn this income, I want to set the property up as a business, and take a normal paycheck from it. But I have a question first: Will the business become the "owner" of the property? And if so, will the mortgage have to be converted into a new owner (LLC/ business' name?) OR should I set the business up as a "Property Management" company and manage the finances of the business in the business name, leaving the mortgages and real estate in my name? I feel like it needs to be turned into the business property. Also: one home is co-owned so, should I turn my half into the business name while retaining the other owner as co-owner? What will the banks say? It might also look better turning this into a business because i want to expand and it will be easier to get a business loan on a profitable business when all the records are separated from mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment